The Frank Camaratta Signature Series Chess set features a 4.4" King with a 2.0" diameter base and is heavily weighted. The Chess pieces are hand carved by our finest artisans and crafted out your choice of either Antiqued Boxwood/Genuine Ebony or Boxwood/Genuine Ebony. These master pieces are heavily weighted and have luxurious black English leather base pads on each of the Chessmen, each featuring Frank Camaratta's signature stamped in gold.
As with all of our Chessmen, the Frank Camaratta Luxury Chess Set exemplifies a perfect combination of distinct beauty and functionality. It has been designed to withstand the rigors of practical play while maintaining an elegance which has become the hallmark of a House of Staunton chess set. The design, quality and craftsmanship of this set is UNMATCHED by any set of Chessmen in its price range. Nothing even comes close!
The Chessmen are new and each set consists of 34 Chessmen, including four Queens, a standard that was introduced by The House of Staunton in 1993.
What Makes the Frank Camaratta Signature Chessmen Unique?
- The Camaratta Signature Series Luxury Chess Set is the FIRST chess set on the market that has been weighted with our patent pending weighting system. This revolutionary technique allows us to achieve the same level of weighting with a minimum amount of material, virtually eliminating the possibility of hairline cracks. This system is also very expensive, costing upwards of $200.00 in material costs for EACH of the sets. No expense has been spared for creating these masterful chessmen.
- Each of the Camaratta Signature Series Luxury Chess Sets is hand-weighted, hand-polished and has the leather base pads applied by the Maestro himself, a very time-consuming process. To insure that each chess set that bears his name is as close to perfect as possible, Mr. Camaratta has chosen to undertake this task himself.
What Comes With the Set?
- The Camaratta Signature Series Luxury Chess Set comes with a Certificate of Authenticity.
- Only 30 Chess Sets (15 in Antiqued Boxwood/Ebony and 15 in Boxwood/Ebony) have been produced! Once they are sold out, this set will be officially retired.
The Chess Set comes with a Individually Numbered Certificate of Authenticity and an original manufacturer's plaque indicating the production number, with an adhesive backing that would allow it to be affixed to the underside of a Chess box.
History of the Chess Pieces
The Camaratta Signature Series Luxury Chess Set is the FIRST chess set on the market that has been weighted with the our patent pending weighting system. This revolutionary technique allows us to achieve the same level of weighting with a minimum amount of material, virtually eliminating the possibility of hairline cracks. This system is also very expensive, costing upwards of $200.00 in material costs for EACH of the sets. No expense has been spared for creating these masterful chessmen.
Each of the Camaratta Signature Series Luxury Chess Sets is hand-weighted, polished and has the leather base pads applied by the Maestro himself, a very time-consuming process. To insure that each chess set that bears his name is as close to perfect as possible, Mr. Camaratta has chosen to undertake this task by himself.
The Camaratta Signature Series Luxury Chess Set comes with your choice of a House of Staunton Fitted Coffer.
Only 30 Chess Sets (15 in Antiqued Boxwood/Ebony and 15 in Boxwood/Ebony) have been produced! Once they are sold out, this set will be officially retired.
The Camaratta Signature Series Luxury Chess Set are in our Madison, AL facility and Mr. Camaratta has already started the task of weighting, polishing and applying the leather basepads. The sets will ship out on a first come, first served basis.
The Elgin Marbles are a collection of classical Greek marble sculptures that originally were part of the Parthenon and other buildings on the Acropolis of Athens. In 1801, Thomas Bruce, the 7th Earl of Elgin, expropriated what was at the time known as the the Parthenon Marbles and put them on display in the British Museum, where they reside to this day.
While it is well-known that the Knight design of the original Staunton Pattern chessmen, first introduced in 1849, are based upon are Elgin Marbles, the reality is that the actual horse design is quite different.
The Knights in Camaratta Signature Series Chessmen are an exact recreation of the Moon Goddess Selene's Chariot Horse, showing the bulging eyes, the flaring nostrils and the gaping mouth.
Frank A. Camaratta, Jr.
Learned to play chess at age 16. First rating, 6 months later, 1825. OTB Master. Abandoned serious OTB play around 1972 due to family and professional pressures. Took up Correspondence chess in 1972. Played in three USCF Absolute Championships (1977, 1978, 1979) and Golden Knights with some success. In the 1977 Absolute, placed 2nd; 1978 Absolute, took 1st place; 1979 Absolute, placed 2nd. Successfully represented the US on the Correspondence Olympic team, played first Board. Correspondence Chess Master. Achieved the ICCF International Master Title.
Taught chess in grade schools and adult evening schools. Gave numerous exhibitions in High Schools, prisons and convalescent homes. Formed several chess clubs, most successful was, The Shoreline Chess Club of Madison, CT, in 1980, which is still active.
He was active in USCF at the Committee level in the 1980s (Formed the Computer Rating Agency and wrote the procedures, started and wrote the original guidelines for induction to the Hall of Fame.
Frank was elected to the Policy Board of the United States Chess Federation as Vice President in 1990, as Treasurer in 1993 and to the Executive board as VP of Finance in 2001. He has also chaired the Correspondence Chess, Ratings, Finance and Life Members Asset committees and is an active chess player. He holds the title of Correspondence Chess International Master (IM) and has a current USCF Rating of 2320.
Frank is the founder of the House of Staunton and is widely regarded as the world's leading authority on the Staunton Pattern Chessmen, and developed the Codex for the Jaques of London Chessmen.
We're proud to offer our new Layaway program!
- With Layaway, purchasing from us has never been easier or more affordable. It allows you to purchase selected House of Staunton products by making payments over time.
- Simply choose the items that you wish to purchase and how many months you wish to make the payments over.We'll automatically charge your debit/credit card each month. Once you've paid for the item/s in full, they'll be sent to you. It's that simple!
Write Your Own Review
Included with Purchase
- Certificate of Authenticity
- Engraved Registered Plaque
- Individual Production Number
|Chess Board Included?||The Chess Board featured is for photographic purposes only and must be purchased separately|
|Manufacturer||The House of Staunton|
|Fitted Coffer Compatible?||Fits in Fitted Coffer|
|King Height||4.4'' inch / 11.18 cm|
|King Base Diameter||2.0'' inch / 5.0 cm|
|Recommended Chess Board Size||2.5" inch / 6.4 cm|
|Median Set Weight||84.1 ounces|
|Total Number of Pieces||34 Chess Pieces, including 2 Additional Queens (for Pawn Promotion)|